Letape racing tips and recommendations
A view through the eyes of director Jozef Pukalovic
Tips and advices on what to watch out for on the route through the eyes of the
race director Jozef Pukalovič
The route of L'Etape Slovakia by Tour de France offers a unique combination of passing through the center of the capital, peripheral urban areas with a lot of historical attractions along the route, picturesque villages in the foothills of Malé Karpaty mountain, vineyards in Pezinok city or a final passage through the peaks of the Carpathian forest park, ending at the iconic Kamzík. In order to enjoy the race perfectly, I have prepared some tips and recommendations for you
- Start corridor will be divided into 4 zones according to your estimated finish time. Please respect this division, it is for your comfort and safety, the pack of riders will consist of more than 700 participants. There will be also our "track marshals" who will be overseeing the safety and order in the peloton.
- We will ride together in a pack for the initial kilometers through the city, do not overtake each other, do not suddenly change the direction of ride, be careful in places where you will cross the tram tracks.
- After a sharp start at „13 km“, find a group appropriate to your performance, help yourself in the peloton with signals and alerts that we practiced during the trainings, all of mentioned above will contribute to make you feel safer and comfortable in the peloton and you will enjoy the race.
- After the first climb on Strmina, at "46-47km" there is a narrow descent with two right-hand turns. On this section you are riding on asphalt roads in the forest, be more careful so that you don't go off the road in the turn. There are also 3 drainage canals across the road, you need to pay extra attention in this section.
- Shortly after that, at "48 km", the route divides into two parts - "RIDE" turns right to slight climb towards Javorník, "RACE" turns left down towards Lozorno. About 2 km downhill to "50 km" there is a sharp right- hand turn - slow down significantly and respect the signals and warnings of the organizers.
- The subsequent descent to Lozorno is on a good road in a slight descent, but pay enough attention to the descent to keep the right direction.
- Behind the water tank at the entrance to the village of Lozorno, there are 3 retarders on the track (they are less visible, but will be marked with warning signs) and then a sharp right turn towards the main road to Jablonové. Slow down and respect the signals of the organizers.
- The descent from Pezinská Baba is on a wide road, you can use the entire profile of the road, but be careful - shortly after reaching the top of the climb, the bridge structure is being reconstructed on the road, where the road narrows to one lane.
- At the end of the descent from Pezinská Baba, you will find a sharp turn to the right near the hospital. Before the turn, it is necessary to slow down significantly from the long descent, the road in this part is straight for a longer section and the turn can be seen from a big distance.
- The vineyard above Pezinok or our "Strade Bianchi" is a beautiful but winding route through the vineyards with a lot of turns, where you need to ride carefully and slow well before the turns. The section offers beautiful views, but despite we will clean it consistently, it can be dusty, so you have to adapt your speed to the surface perhaps more than elsewhere on the route.
- From the vineyards, we pass through Limbach, cross several side streets, and through the "S" of the main road we arrive at the beginning of the 3rd climb to Veľký Javorník. It also includes the well-known "Paris - Roubaix" section, about 400 meter long panel road that you have to ride by the edge, and then a 300 meter long clay section that is easily passable.
- The last 23 kilometers lead through the Carpathian forest park. The road is of a good quality, several sections have recently been resurfaced. Especially on the descents, pay extra attention to the places where the asphalt road crosses the forest MTB trails. Increased caution should also be paid to potential hikers and pedestrians. The section from Biely Kríž offers really high-quality asphalt and wonderful nature.
- Just before the finish climb to Kamzík (2 km before the finish line), there will be only one sharp turn to the left on the entire route. Brake into it well in advance, it is properly marked and signaled.
General warnings and recommendations:
On the entire route in the forest sections, pay attention to the alternation of light and darker sections under the trees.
Although we will ride on closed roads, please obey the traffic rules and keep to the right side of the road when riding to create enough space for faster racers, escort vehicles and motorbikes to pass.
Help each other and use signals and alerts. The safety of your colleagues in the peloton directly affects your safety.
Also pay attention to the surroundings of the route, spectators, pedestrians, and forest animals in the forest sections.
The garbage can be thrown away only in the area of refreshment stations. A large part of the route is led by the beautiful carpathian nature, which does not deserve to be polluted.
Thank you for following the rules and taking reasonable attention, I hope you enjoy the race.